With the many different brand of smart light switches today, we have rounded up the 3 best ones available in the market.
TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch
Here is an overview of why you should buy this smart light switch:
- It has its own free app that you can use to manage your fixtures
- It is affordable and functions as well as other brands that are more expensive
The TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch is a budget-friendly smart light switch that is perfect for any home. To know more about this product, here is a list of its features:
- Manages your fixtures wherever you are: whether you are at home or at the beach relaxing, you can control the lights, ceiling fans, and other fixtures
- Scheduling: by using the app, you will be able to set a schedule for when you want your fixtures to turn on or off
- Wi-Fi: this smart light switch works with any Wi-Fi router and does not require a separate hub
- Compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant: lets you control the lights and other fixtures using your voice
The TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch can be installed as easily as any other light switch. Just make sure that you always turn the power off from the fuse box to avoid getting electrocuted.
When you are done replacing your all light switch and have verified that it is working well, the next step would be is to install the app. Go to Google Play or App Store, search for the TP-Link Kasa app, and install it.
Once you have installed Kasa, connect your smartphone or tablet to your 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network and launch the app. Diligently follow the steps provided to connect your device to the smart light switch then you are good to go.
What we find not so great about this is that it requires a neutral line that is not always present especially in old homes. Another negative thing about this is that the switch itself only has the lower part elevated and does not move when you press it which makes it confusing to know if it is turned on or off.
Majority of the people who purchased this product really liked it. Most users would agree that it connects flawlessly with Alexa-enabled devices and that it is very easy to install. The users also rave how of great quality this product is, from the switch itself to the wire nuts it comes with.
Wemo Light Switch
Second on our list is considerably one of the most popular brand of smart light switch. Here are some reasons why you should get your hands on this product:
- Can be controlled anywhere with the use of Wi-Fi, 3G, or 4G connection
- It has a motion sensor that can automatically control your fixtures depending on your environment such as the weather and time of day
The Wemo Light Switch is from the company Belkin which has been providing top class electronics for over 30 years now. To know more about this smart light switch, here is a list of its features:
- Works with Nest and Alexa: Alexa lets your control the fixtures with the use of your voice while Nest detects the temperature of your home which can turn your lights off if it senses that no one is in the house vice versa
- IFTTT capable: gives you endless control on what you want your fixtures to do such as setting your lights to blink if you receive an email
- Multiple settings: control devices remotely using your mobile phone or tablet, schedule when you want to turn your fixtures on and off, and randomize lights for extra security
Just like the smart switch from TP-Link, this can be installed as easily as any other light switches. This smart light switch also does not require a separate hub to work. All you will need is the existing Wi-Fi router that you presently have.
As for the free app, you can go to Google Play or App store and search for Wemo. Once you have installed and launched your app, you can now connect it to the Wemo Light Switch.
As great of a product this is, the company does not provide clear troubleshooting guides for those who are encountering problems with this smart light switch. Another thing they can improve on is their app as it has a tendency of being inaccurate especially when you are using multiple smartphones.
Majority of the feedback from this product are positive. What most people like about it is that it works well with Nest, Alexa, and IFTTT.
Most users agree that it is moderately easy to install and set up. People also loves the many features this smart light switch comes with.
GE Z-Wave In-Wall Smart Switch
Last on the list is from the company GE. Here are some reasons why you should choose this:
- Works with any Z-Wave compatible gateways
- Comes in 2 colors, white and light almond, unlike most brands that only has white
The GE Z-Wave In-Wall Smart Switch lets you control any type of lighting. Here are more of its features:
- Works with all bulbs such as LED, fluorescent, and incandescent
- Can be controlled from you smartphones, computers, tablets, and other Z-Wave compatible remotes
- Works with Alexa for voice command
- Fixtures can be controlled no matter where you are
Same with the first 2 smart light switches on our list, this is installed the same with any type of light switches and also requires a neutral wire. Once you have attached this switch to your wall, you can proceed by downloading the free app Z-Wave, or any Z-Wave certified gateway.
Follow the steps shown and once the app is ready add your smart switch, toggle the buttons to include it.
This smart light switch is definitely a great contender. However, the blue LED light on the switch would sometimes stop working or would continue to blink.
Most people would express that they like how this smart light switch is compatible with so many apps or Z-Wave compatible gateways. However, most people hated how it is not that easy to install and it took a few tries for them to fully get a hang of it.
All of the products listed above are without a doubt excellent products. However, the best one would have to be is the Wemo light switch because of its flexibility and function.
With its added IFTTT feature, you will be able to do customized controls to your fixtures.